Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Christensen "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us" : Extended Comments

I read Ann's Blog and I decided to do mine based on her. I agree with her totally that disney tends to focus on one particular type of person in their films. In many of the  movies the higher class white folks are the main focus. For example all of the princess movies have to do with a white royal family which is very a typical of the American society. I think disney has tried to make movies with people of other ethnic backgrounds as the main leads like Ann had said in her blog and she used Mulan as an example. But, I still think that it is all mainly focused on white Americans which to me is not the right thing that we should be teaching our children as they grow up. I also noticed in many disney movies that color is not the only thing they choose to avoid but also women. In a lot of the movies they tend to kill off the mother and they just have the Dad. The disney movies are a great way of showing the how powerful the culture of power really is.

I really like the hyperlink that Ann chose because it shows a how children notice black people are not in disney movies. One girl even says," I have never seen a black person in a disney movie." I think the best part of the hyperlink is the part about Aladdin. I liked this because it shows just how allowable it is for Disney to be rascist. In the Aladdin problem, there was a big controversy over it and someone wrote in a news paper that it was rascist but it did not matter because it was disney. I think this is the wrong way to teach children about cultures and races because it could be part of the reason why we have so many racial issues today.

In class I hope to discuss, Do other people think that the disney movies teach children the wrong things about race? I also would like to discuss other movies in America and if they are interratial or portray the culture of power.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for using mine. I like some of the points you made that I did not really think about. I think the reason why everything is white is based about the society we live in. And right or wrong whites particular white men are the ones and charge and the consumer aims to please the money holder.

    I think this is going to be a great discussion in class.

    ReplyDelete