Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carlson "Gayness, Multicultural Education, and Community" : Hyperlink

When I think about gay orientation the only thing I think about is oh they are interested in girls and I am interested in guys, what is the big deal in that. But in today's society there are so many controversies over gay rights it is crazy. When I think about other people being gay I think to myself before I decide to make fun of them or accept who they are as a person. I put myself in their shoes and say if I was a lesbian would I want to be made fun of just because I am interested in woman rather than men and I do not follow the "culture of power." as Delpit would say. These are the many issues in todays society because gay marriage and gay orientation goes against religions and its just not the "ideal" way of life.

Recently, at Rutgers College two freshman boys had got paired up to live in the same dorm room. One of the boys just happened to be gay. One day, the boy had brought back another boy to his room and they started making out in the room while they were alone. Little did they know the roommate had hid a camera in the room to video tape them and then put it all over the internet. The gay boy ended up committing suicide after this whole incident and the roommate is being charged with his murder. Many people seem to think his suicide had to do with the lack of acceptance gay orientation has in the world. When I heard this story I thought about how many other people probably feel unaccepted just like the boy who committed suicide did and how many other people will committ suicide just like he did. This is a terrible thing when we should not care about what people look like or who they choose to have an intimate relationship with. I hope to discuss this more in class and see what other people have to say about gay orientation and the role it plays in the world today.

Here is the link to the New York Times news article for the roommates at Rutgers I discussed above.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/nyregion/02suicide.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=gay%20roommate%20suicide&st=cse

4 comments:

  1. Kathryn I really liked how you used the Rutgers suicide in your explanation. I just heard about this incident a few days ago and was totally shocked. It's crazy to think that someone would stream a video of his roommate on the internet because he is gay. Seems as though nothing will ever change and there will always be people like that in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us need to put ourselves in other people’s shoes when it comes to any situation. If we can somehow think like they do, maybe we can understand their means for doing it. For the story you picked I think that what the roommate did was wrong by placing a video camera in the room. That boy should be allowed to do as he pleases. Homosexuality is not against the law. It is sad that the boy found no other way out then killing himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That horrible. I dont really know what to say but it the sad truth, I was reading a article and it said that gays, Lesbians have the highest rate of suicide. I feel that needs to be changed but the question is how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all have such great points here... and the part we need to talk is what we can do. Kevin is right... there will always be people like this. But as Chris and Anne both note, what can we do to make sure that when this does happen, there are all the right supports in place to help a student feel like he isn't alone. Very sad, these suicides this week.

    ReplyDelete