Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oakes "Tracking, Why Schools need to take another route" : Extended Comments

I was reading Caiti's blog and I agreed with her points and what she had to say about Oakes and how he disagreed with tracking. I think that she is right about how we should not be having teachers in schools teaching children just for the job and not caring about how the students are doing in the classes. The quote that Caiti used fits perfectly, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". It really does not make any sense for us to favor the children who are doing well more than the "less abled" children. I think in a way this is like treating Men and Women different when there really is no difference just the fact that one is a male and the other is a women. Just because some kids are doing better than others in school does not mean they should be more privaledged than the other kids. I agree with Caiti that the children who need help should be able to get that help that they deserve not be ignored and expected to do bad for the rest of their lives.

I also think that the quote she picked to connect Oakes article and Finn works out really well. I think it is a great example of a classroom where the teachers under estimate the ability of the children and just teach them to keep a steady job. I do not know what I would do if I grew up in a school where  my teachers did not encourage me to do well or succeed in life. I think this is a huge part of a teachers job and for someone to neglect to encourage a student to do well blows my mind. I think Caiti did a great job explaining the points that Oakes put into his reading and she put good evidence from Finn to back it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment